*Originally published in Crunchy Radish on January 19, 2015
Typically, once January 1st rolls around, most people become invigorated about making big substantial change. You try a new workout, do a juice cleanse, cut gluten, but are those changes long lasting? Harper Spero, a student at Sacred Sounds Yoga certified professional coach, and Tracey Lemle, a certified holistic health coach, provide some simple, yet hearty tips to help you make radical shifts for the most healthiest and happiest year yet!
- Stay Hydrated: Take your total body weight and cut it in half – drink that amount (in ounces) of water each day.
- Treat Yourself: Splurge on a luxurious hand lotion, soak in a lavender infused bubble bath, or light an aromatherapy candle. Treat yourself to something calming and luxurious. You deserve it.
- Nourish your Mind: Download a (free!) word-a-day app in order to expand your vocabulary. There are even apps you can download that provide you with a word-a-day in another language if you are interested in learning a new language. If that’s not your style, read one article from a newspaper/magazine per day about a topic you would normally skip over.
- Test your Knife Skills: Cook once, make it last. Cook at least one meal per week with enough for leftovers. This way you know exactly what you are eating and can plan out your meals for the week ahead.
- Bank it: Put $20 of every paycheck into a savings account – every little bit counts. Set up your online banking so that it automatically transfers the money out of one account and into another.
- Spend More Quality Time with Family and Friends: Create a family or friends day once a month or once week and plan fun events such as a movie, sporting event, diner party, or game night. Focus on being present and not instagramming every moment.
- Travel: Pick a place you can walk, bike, drive, or fly to. Prioritize time to enrich yourself and experience new surroundings for internal and external stimulation.
- Be Less Stressed: Take 10 minutes before or after work (technology free!) to be with your thoughts. Reflect, refresh, and prioritize your day.
- Volunteer: Do online research to see where there is availability to volunteer for organizations that are aligned with your values and interests. Contact one or more of these organizations and see how you can be of service.
- Drink Less: Save the alcohol for the weekend. Skip the drinks during the week, not only will you cut out some calories, you will save money, and feel much better in the morning!